Flexible cover that helps protect your clients’ people at work and home, and everywhere in between

Our flexible product suite aims to reduce the impact of accidents or sickness, whilst helping people get their lives back on track. We have solutions for the self-employed, businesses, sports clubs, government organisations and voluntary workers.

Benefits can address lost earnings, non-Medicare fees and rehabilitation costs, plus provide lump sums for death and serious injuries. Many extra benefits can also be included and we can even tailor the cover to care for employees’ families.

Our policies can complement existing workers compensation schemes because those salary benefits vary across states.

Whatever your client’s industry, our dedicated team will help you tailor the right solution to match their needs and budget.

Contact us

Need more help?

Get a quote, view transactions and monitor claims by logging into c.change

Why choose QBE Accident and Health cover?

We can tailor the cover* to provide:

  • Lump sum payments for death and permanent disability
  • Weekly loss of income benefits up to 100% of pre-injury earnings with options of up to 5 years for benefit periods
  • Recruitment costs to replace staff
  • Corporate image protection to cover the costs for engaging public relations consultants and for the release of information through the media
  • Injury rehabilitation benefit may cover the costs for pain management therapy, vocational assistance and counselling, if rehab is considered the best option for recovery
  • Cover for medical fees that Medicare won’t cover
  • Dependent child and partner benefits
  • 24/7 emergency medical and travel assistance cover for expat, inpat and corporate travel clients
  • Cover for funeral expenses.

*Benefits listed are subject to terms and conditions. Limits and exclusions apply.

Dedicated Accident and Health team

  • Our specialist team is one of the most experienced in Australia
  • We aim to say "yes". We listen and build bespoke policies for clients rather than enforcing a “one size fits all” approach
  • Our injury management advisors provide the best possible care to your client’s people to help them recover and get their lives back on track.

We’re here to help you and your clients 24/7

Available for expatriate, inpatriate and corporate travel policyholders, our emergency assistance team is on call 24/7 to help. We have longstanding relationships with emergency assistance partners that are carefully selected based on their ability to deliver high-quality care and advice in the time-critical period after an unforeseen event.

We have a dedicated Accident and Health claims team, plus a streamlined claims process if your client needs to make a claim. This includes:

  • An Accident and Health specialist claims handler through the entire claim
  • Acknowledgement of the claim within one business day of receipt
  • Payment within five days of receiving the completed forms once the claim is accepted.

All of which can help take the pressure off the individual affected, their loved ones and your clients’ business.

Need more help?

If you're arranging individual cover, you can go straight to c.change. For more information please contact our team, download documents from our product pages or read the FAQs below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, please email underwriting@qbe.com
Yes, please contact your QBE Accident and Health underwriter with the additional information.
Yes, we love seeing what our clients do.

Workers Compensation: Our products can provide a top up payment to workers compensation payments, depending on the policy. In most workers compensation schemes, only a percentage of the injured workers lost wage is covered. Our policy can provide a gap payment to cover the shortfall in the injured workers lost wage.

CTP: The Accident and Health product suite can provide the injured person with weekly payments to cover their lost wage if they are unable to work due to a motor vehicle accident. This depends on the state based CTP scheme as some CTP schemes do provide a weekly benefit to cover any loss of wages (e.g. NSW, VIC).

You can lodge a claim by submitting a claim form to our claims team via email, post or fax: