QLD CTP Insurance - Questions & Answers | QBE Insurance
PrintIncrease text sizeDecrease text size

Questions & Answers

QLD CTP rego insurance

QLD CTP Questions and Answers

This information is specific to QBE CTP insurance policies held in Queensland. If you have a more general question about your insurance, please contact us.

Q. What is CTP insurance?

A. CTP insurance is compulsory insurance privately underwritten by licensed insurers. It covers the negligent ‘at-fault’ driver for their liability to compensate third parties for bodily injury caused by them involving the operation of their vehicle. This includes the driver(s) and passengers in other vehicle(s) involved in the accident, passengers in your vehicle, pedestrians, push-bike and motorcycle riders.

Q. Why is CTP insurance mandatory?
A. The Queensland Government legislated in 1936 for CTP to be made compulsory and provide protection to persons injured as a result of the actions of other negligent drivers involving the operation of driving motor vehicles. The intention of the CTP coverage is to protect the injured person for ongoing medical and hospital costs, general damages, loss of income and in the case of severe injuries, the ongoing care of the injured person which may be for the remainder of that person's life.

Q. What does ‘Third Party’ mean?

A. As the title suggests, a third party is everyone else involved in the motor vehicle accident which includes the drivers and passengers of all vehicles involved, pedestrians, push bike riders and motorcycle riders.

Q. What is covered by my policy?

A. The CTP policy attached to your registration is a Statutory Cover that covers the drivers of your vehicle for their liability for costs of the injuries caused to others as a result of the negligent driving of the motor vehicle.

Q. What is not covered by my policy?

A. The CTP policy only covers claims made against the driver of your vehicle for injuries caused to other persons in an accident. It does not cover any accidental damage to other vehicles or to property, nor any damage to your vehicle as a result of a motor vehicle accident.

Q. What if I am injured in an accident?

A. If you are injured and the driver of another vehicle involved in the accident is subsequently deemed to be at fault, your CTP claim for your injuries is met by the CTP insurer of the other vehicle. However, if you are at fault in the motor vehicle accident, then you have no cover at all under the Queensland CTP Scheme Legislation.

Q. What if I injure someone else in an accident?

A. As long as your vehicle is currently registered through Queensland Transport, therefore having a CTP policy in force, then the claims by another person made against you for your negligent driving will be managed on your behalf by your CTP insurer.

Q. How is the CTP rate calculated?

A. The rate charged by CTP insurers is required to be between a minimum and maximum premium range (per Class of vehicle) as set by the Queensland Government's Motor Accident Insurance Commission on a quarterly basis. The rate allowed to be charged takes into account the frequency of accidents, the average claims costs for each Class of vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle has a right to claim an Input Tax Credit for the GST, and includes an amount for the CTP insurer's administration and claims handling costs.

Q. Do GST credits apply to CTP?

A. There are two premiums for each vehicle Class under the Queensland Scheme. A 'private' premium (no Input Tax Credit entitlement) does not provide the vehicle owner with a Tax Invoice after payment of the registration and the GST paid in the CTP premium is not claimable from the Australian Tax Office. A 'business' premium (which has an Input Tax entitlement) does provide the vehicle owner with a Tax Invoice issued by Queensland Transport along with the new registration label and the GST is claimable from the Australian Tax Office. The Vehicle Registration Notice issued for each registration renewal to you by Queensland Transport shows under the insurer information either (NO ITCE) representing a ‘private’ premium or (YES ITCE) for a ‘business’ premium. If on review, you believe the tax status is incorrect, you should contact Queensland Transport on 13 23 80 (select Option 1 and then Option 3), to advise them of your correct tax status. Queensland Transport will then issue a new Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice for you to pay. This Notice re-issue takes up to 14 days to be received.

Please note – if your vehicle registration expires during this change process you will be charged a loading for the late payment.  

Q. What is DriverProtect cover?

A. DriverProtect cover is provided by some QLD CTP insurers to cover the 'at-fault' driver injured or killed in an accident. This cover is additional to the CTP Statutory cover that is required under the Government State Legislation to be provided to motor vehicle owners for third party claims as a result of the negligent driving of the motor vehicle. This additional DriverProtect policy covers the ‘at-fault’ driver for serious permanent injuries such as quadriplegia, paraplegia, permanent total disablement, and loss of use of a limb, as well as death. The DriverProtect policy does not provide cover for the full CTP Statutory coverage such as loss of income, medical and rehabilitation costs and ongoing (possibly lifetime) care for the seriously injured.

Q. Are there any differences between CTP Insurers?

A. Yes there are differences, firstly in the CTP premium charged by CTP insurers for each vehicle Class. The Queensland Government sets a minimum and maximum premium range per Class and the CTP insurers file a premium every three months. Therefore the CTP premiums of each insurer may (and usually do) change every three months for each vehicle Class. In addition to the premium, there are differences in the DriverProtect covers provided to the 'at-fault' driver by each insurer. A review of the DriverProtect coverage provided by each insurer is required to see which best meets your insurance needs. This is important especially as the maximum claim per policy currently ranges from $250,000 up to $1,000,000 between Queensland CTP insurers.

Q. How do I take out a CTP policy?

A. This depends on the current registration status of your vehicle. If:

  • you are purchasing a brand new vehicle (or an unregistered vehicle) from a dealer, you have the option to advise the dealer of your requirements for your CTP insurer;
  • your vehicle is due for renewal through the Queensland Transport’s registration process, you have the choice of CTP insurer as long as the registration is not past the due date shown on the Renewal Notice. Call 133 723 to switch to QBE or refer to the back of the Queensland Transport Vehicle Registration Notice for the payment and selection of CTP insurer options;
  • your vehicle is registered interstate and is still currently registered, you have the option to select your new Queensland CTP insurer when completing the Queensland Transport re-registration paperwork; or
  • your vehicle is currently unregistered then you have the choice of which CTP insurer to purchase your CTP Certificate from. Call us on 133 723 for more information.

Q. How do I cancel my CTP policy?

A. If you purchase a CTP Certificate from a CTP insurer but don't use the Certificate to register the motor vehicle with Queensland Transport within 30 days of its issue date, simply return the original Certificate to the CTP insurer for a full refund on the premium paid. In all other cases where the required cancellation is mid-term in a registration period, the only way a CTP policy can be cancelled is if the Queensland registration is cancelled with Queensland Transport. Where the registration is cancelled and the registration plates are handed into Queensland Transport, any refund for your CTP insurance will be included in the registration refund cheque from Queensland Transport.

Q. What if I sell my car?

A. If you sell your vehicle registered, then your current CTP insurance automatically transfers to the new owner with the vehicle registration. If you intend to sell the vehicle unregistered, any refund for your CTP insurance will be included in the registration refund cheque from Queensland Transport once you hand in your registration plates.

Go to top